EntertainmentAussie mushroom gummy recall: Health scare hits 'Uncle Frog'

Aussie mushroom gummy recall: Health scare hits 'Uncle Frog'

Australian mushroom-flavoured jelly beans turned out to be hallucinogenic.
Australian mushroom-flavoured jelly beans turned out to be hallucinogenic.
Images source: © Canva, Food Standards Australia New Zealand | Canva, Food Standards Australia New Zealand

27 June 2024 19:24

An Australian producer of mushroom gummies must close its business. The Food Standards Agency ordered the recall of two types of gummies containing exotic mushrooms due to health issues reported by customers who tried the unique treat.

Food producers worldwide are competing to create new products. Large ball-shaped ice cream, extra-strong coffee with ashwagandha, waffles shaped like penises and vaginas, and sweets with unusual flavours. The goal is one – to stir controversy and attract customers' attention. The Australian company Uncle Frog almost succeeded in this.

Mushroom-flavoured gummies cause hallucinations?

The Australian company Uncle Frog tried to conquer the candy market. The company's first two products were meant to provoke controversy and curiosity. We are talking about mushroom-flavoured gummies: cordyceps and lion's mane. Both mushrooms are known for their extraordinary properties: increasing libido, boosting the immune system, reducing stress, fighting heart, kidney, and lung diseases, and having anti-cancer effects. Additionally, the gummies contained "1000 milligrams of the best hemp in the world per serving," which was supposed to give a "multiverse experience." It sounds like a remedy for everything, but it turns out that the products have been recalled from the market.

Food Standards Australia New Zealand, on Wednesday, 26th June, issued an order to recall the gummies due to cases of hospitalisation of individuals who consumed the sweets. A teenager from South Australia was found unconscious after eating a few gummies. In New South Wales, at least five people were taken to hospital after experiencing symptoms of poisoning: hallucinations, seizures, involuntary tremors, anxiety, dizziness, loss of consciousness, rapid heart rate, nausea, and vomiting.

The company responds to allegations

Both Instagram and the producer's website of the controversial gummies have been taken down. A message appears on the official site stating: "Customers shouldn’t eat or open this product and should dispose of it safely or return it back to us. Please contact and email us at support@unclefrog.com.au or reply back to this text message for safe disposal instructions and reimbursements. Any consumers concerned about their health should seek medical advice. Kind Regards, Uncle Frog."

Dr. Brett Summerell, Chief Scientist of the Botanic Gardens in Sydney, in a conversation with The Guardian, emphasized that all mushroom products should come from verified and trusted sources. "Although it’s not clear the products do contain any fungal material, my concern is people will want to go out and attempt to harvest these fungi for themselves. A lot of species that grow in the wild can be toxic or even deadly. They’re often difficult to identify and it’s safest to steer clear of them."

Related content